Use the Amsler Grid to Test Yourself
This diagnostic tool was created by Marc Amsler, an Opthalmologist from Switzerland, in 1945. This test does not replace the need for a comprehensive eye exam conducted by a certified Optometrist, but it does help an individual assess and monitor symptoms of Macular Degeneration as soon as they arise.
Instructions to conduct your visual test:
- Make sure you are in a well-lit room. In the case that you wear glasses, have them on for the assessment.
- Position your eyes 12-14 inches away from the Amsler Grid.
- Cover one eye, and with the open eye, focus on the black dot in the center of the grid.
- Answer the 5 questions above the grid in relation to your visual experience. Report these notes to your Optometrist.
- Repeat the test with your second eye.
Please note that an Amsler Grid should not be solely relied upon for a conclusive diagnosis. Make sure to schedule an appointment with Optima Eyecare if you have even one "Yes" response to any of the five questions while conducting the test.